Thursday, October 22, 2009

Eye ‘I’ Contact and Autism

“Sometimes I practice looking at someone directly to see what it feels like. If I practice long enough maybe it will feel okay to do. I notice that this is important, but it goes against my rules. If somebody made me look at him in the eye, I would probably do it, but you better believe that I would hate him. I will look someone in the eye when I am ready and do it in my own time and space. If someone is trying to fix himself that part is just not ready yet. Have you figured out that I am very stubborn? It's not that I like being stubborn, but I need to protect myself.”

Let’s make sense out of this autistic child’s experience. We can only infer what is going on within him. He seems to be telling us that eye contact does not come naturally to him. He also might be saying, “leave me alone and do not force me to use eye contact.” If he is forced, he is saying he will resent that person’s interference. Finally he is telling us he is trying to fix his situation and does not want to be intruded upon by others.

What do we do about this child’s lack of eye contact? This is a quandary for us because as ‘typical’ people we know that when good communication is taking place eye contact is direct and focused on the other person. With the person with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), this is not the case. In fact it appears to be just the opposite. The urgency is to want the person with ASD to be in the world and be like us. This may cause us to force or demand the child to use eye contact. I believe this is putting the ‘cart before the horse.’

As we know people with ASD struggle with communication and relationships with others. Eye contact stands out as a nonverbal gesture that feels troublesome for those who work with or have children with autism. I believe that the child will start to use eye contact when he is ready. Thus we need to be patient and let it happen in the normal course of the child’s development.

Some thoughts to think about regarding eye contact: 1) the child is not deliberately being difficult by not using eye contact, 2) his body will not let him use eye contact or let him use his bodily gestures as we might be familiar with, 3) this does not mean that the lack of eye contact cannot change over time, 4) as the child develops his ability to communicate verbally, his use of direct eye contact will develop as well, 5) in fact it might be the last nonverbal gesture he will be able to conquer. This will vary from child to child, 6) eye contact is a nonverbal (gesture) communication from the unconscious of a person, 7) when communication is good we say that the person is congruent. Their verbal communication is complimented by their nonverbal gestures (eye contact being only one of many nonverbal gestures). This means that the person will use direct eye contact when he feels more comfortable with his verbal communication and his relationships with others. Eye contact demonstrates the individual’s confidence and self-esteem, and finally 8) a way to think about eye contact is that the child will use ‘eye’ contact when he can use ‘I’ contact.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a parent/carer for my son who has Asperger syndrome, I can remember teachers etc going on about his lack of eye contact. Previous to when he gained a diagnosis just before heading of to a Doctors appointment I pointed out the importance of eye contact to show that you are listening to someone. At the doctors my wonderful (compliant) son gave lots of (unnerving) eye contact and unfortunately we were promptly told that he couldn't possibly have Aspergers because he made eye contact....!!!!! It was one of those times I should have let my son just be himself...oh well...we live and learn : )
Lisa James UK
counsellor and care and Share support group founder.

outoutout said...

Hi there, I just stumbled upon your blog. I'm an Aspie, daughter of an Aspie, mother of two HFA children. One big autistic family.

I must say that anyone who discounts an ASD diagnosis based solely upon eye contact is grossly misinformed. Autism exists on a spectrum, and not everyone will exhibit every trait. I have trouble with eye contact. My son (HFA), on the other hand, is great with it. He'll stare you down, in fact. I think we need to be careful not to stereotype autistic people. However, this is a great post for those who do struggle.

Anonymous said...

So, children on Autism spectrum may have good contact. What about typical toddlers? Can some have poor eye contact yet not be on spectrum? In other words, is poor eye contact an enough sign by itself for autism? God, I have so many adults around me who are very bad at eye contact. Could they be on spectrum as well?

Anonymous said...

So, children on Autism spectrum may have good eye contact. What about typical toddlers? Can some have poor eye contact yet not be on spectrum? In other words, is poor eye contact an enough sign by itself for autism? God, I have so many adults around me who are very bad at eye contact. Could they be on spectrum as well?