Friday, January 1, 2010

“Please Help Me to be Separate”

“There is this “gluey-gooey” feeling I have with my mother. I feel stuck to her as if someone is playing a joke on us. I cannot exist without her. It is as if we are one. I cannot move unless I know where she is. I cannot talk unless I hear her first. I watch her very closely to know what I am supposed to do. I can only move my body after she moves her body. It is like we are glued together. Never to be separated. In my mind, I try to separate and pull myself from her, but my body will not let me. We are stuck, never to go our separate ways.”

“Sometimes I feel so connected to my mother that I cannot tell the difference between her and me. As much as I try to separate from her, I can't. It is like we are two peas in a pod. I have to know how my mother feels about everything. If I know how she feels then I can do what she says and everything will be okay. It is not as if I want things to be this way. They just have to be. It is like her opinion is mine. I am obsessed with how she feels even if it is at the expense of my own opinion. When I find out what she feels then I feel safe. Where are my opinions? Where is myself? I am not independent from my mother and from others. I feel doomed to live this way. I am obsessed with thinking about how to undue this predicament. How do I get unstuck? If I stand far away from her and talk to her I still feel connected to her. If I talk to her on the phone I still feel connected to her. This connection is like a rope around my neck that is choking me. I want to be a separate person, but I can't. How do I separate from my mother? This idea torments me daily. It causes me to have a lot of pain. I cry myself to sleep thinking about how to be separate and how to be a person.”

What is this autistic boy telling us? He seems to be telling us that he is not an independent person and cannot function separately from his mother. He definitely is saying he wants to be separate, but feels he cannot make this happen. Most people do not have to think about being separate from others. He is very aware of his dilemma, but has no ability to make his situation different.

This boy is giving us an example of what it is like to live without self-agency. Self-agency is the ability of the self to take initiative, to regulate oneself and to be the source of one’s behavior. A sense of self-agency is developed within a relationship with another person. The autistic person has an incomplete attachment thus does not have the advantage of self-agency. The functioning levels of those with Autism Spectrum Disorders correspond with the degree of self-agency the individual has. The lower functioning individual has very little self-agency and thus is nonverbal or can only use echolalia. As the individual gains more self-agency we start to see the use of words such as “me” and “I” as well as more interactive behaviors. Then we start to call the person high functioning.

No comments: