Thursday, November 26, 2009

“I am Like Petrified Wood”

“I am five years old. Terror is my bosom buddy. It never leaves me. It follows me like night follows day. I cannot move. I feel petrified like “petrified wood.” Every movement, every gesture is scary, beyond scary - frightening beyond belief. Words will not come out of my mouth. They stay in there like immovable objects. Words are frightening. They are enemies. Sentences seem fragmented. When I talk, I feel like one word is on my left and the next on my right. I feel like it will be damaging for me to talk. Every word I say will hurt me. I must not talk. My words are too threatening.”

What is this autistic boy telling us? From my perspective he is saying his fear/terror/anxiety is so big that he cannot manage himself. He is so scared he becomes ‘immobile’ and unable to function as a human being. He has turned to stone like a piece of petrified wood. Some might say he is scared out of his mind. This can also be called a type of hysteria. He is telling us that not only does he feel like ‘stone,’ but also that it feels like his words are stuck within him and are too frightening to use. We can say that words are not easily used if at all by him. Words seem all over the place for this autistic boy. Finally, probably because of his frightening experience with words he has decided that his spoken words are too threatening for others to hear. Thus he decides that he will keep to himself out of fear of hurting others as well as himself.

Let’s make sense out of this boy’s experience with anxiety and his frightening experience with words. From the perspective of an “Incomplete Attachment” we can make sense out of what is occurring here. During the attachment process, a child gains the ability to self-regulate through the experience of mutual regulation with the primary caregivers. Because the autistic child has not had a completed attachment he has not benefited from this regulation process. The child is left ‘waiting’ for the attachment process to resume. Within this state of ‘waiting’ the child is coping with an existence that is very different than for those with a completed attachment. An observation of any autistic child will give us a glimpse into how hard it is to exist without a completed attachment. Each child will have different methods of how he will cope with this unusual state of existence. That is why each autistic child seems so different from another child, but also at the same time can have similar behaviors. Without the ability to self-regulate which comes with a completed attachment the child is left in an extreme state of anxiety. Everything he does is filled with anxiety – moving his body, talking, walking and bodily functions to name only a few.

Therefore, working with those with autism and extreme states of anxiety, we need to 1) recognize that anxiety is a part of the autistic experience, 2) anxiety is the result of an “Incomplete Attachment”, 3) the key to working with the autistic child is to help him have a completed attachment, so the child can learn to self-regulate, and 4) in order for the child to have a completed attachment he needs a caregiver/therapist who can help in the process of mutual regulation.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can you prevent a person with Asperger who shows anxiety from becoming too dependent on one particular person or the primary caregiver becoming too overprotective?
My son looks to me as his primary caregiver and mother and is only now at aged 20 just seeking out others he can trust, this has been a long drawn out process to get him to trust others as he was let down badly by his peers and professionals like teachers etc. . I see that in some families parent/carers can find it difficult to let go and 'enable' their son or daughter with AS/ASD to take some risks and build up trust or seek out alternative ways to build up their coping strategies or defences against anxiety. I would be interested in your view about this? Lisa UK

Karen Savlov said...

Lisa,

There is not an easy answer to your question. People with AS/ASD will let go when they feel ready. He needs you now and is starting to take risks with others. He will let go of you when he is ready. Let him take the first steps in letting go. It is a good sign that he is forming new relationships. Past experiences that have been disappointing and bad will leave most people risk aversive and it is especially more difficult for those with Asperger's. Keep encouraging him and also be there to hear his success and pain as it sounds like you are. It is also important to remember that with autism comes a 'lack of self agency. This means to use one's self in relationship to another is difficult. His sense of agency can be developed and encouraged, but it does take time. I am working in a program at UCLA with students with autism and other developmental disabilities who live away from home for two years. They take classes and live with their peers in apts. They are learning to form relationships they have never experienced previously. It is a great program for the students to learn to trust and take risks with relationships. The most important thing to remember is to have patience and continue to encourage him to develop these relationships. If you have an e-mail address, I can communicate with you in more detail. Karen

Accidental Expert said...

I just found your blog. I have a son with Asperger's Syndrome and your writing will definitely help me better understand him. Thanks.